FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What can I expect during my first visit?
Expect your initial appointment to take 2.5 hours. This ensures that we spend as much time required to achieve the best results. The microblading consultation begins with some paperwork, an overview of your face, analyzing your bone structure, eye placement, and face shape. We will then discuss what you would like to achieve with your brows in terms of shape, thickness, size, colour, arch, and personal preference. Measurements will be taken, your brows will be filled in with a pencil, shaped if needed, and outlined. Once you are comfortable with what we've discussed during the consultation, we will then move onto the procedure. A topical numbing cream is then applied to the area for 15 minutes. After that, the most appropriate colour and type of pigment will be determined to best suit you. This will depend partly on personal preference, but will also depend on skin colour, undertone, hair colour, and eye colour. Once selected, we are ready to begin the microblading procedure. The final step is a review of your aftercare.
Does the procedure hurt?
A highly-effective, topical anesthetic cream is applied for numbing before and during your procedure, to ensure you remain as comfortable as possible. However, everyone has different pain tolerances.
How long will my cosmetic brow tattoo last?
Cosmetic brow tattoos is a procedure that will provide you with sweat-proof and waterproof brows. However, they will fade over time and typically last between eight months to two years. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF RESULTS as everyone’s result will vary due to skin type, lifestyle and the initial 10 day care and longterm care of your brow tattoo. We will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment at your touch-up appointment and make any changes necessary.
What do I need to know before my appointment?
- If you have an ideal shape and colour in mind, bring a few reference photos with you to your appointment.
- You may fill in your eyebrows as you normally would so we can take into consideration the shape you desire.
- If you plan to go on a vacation, it is recommended to plan your trip a minimum of 14 days after the procedure.
- We require our clients to avoid any blood thinning medication for a minimum of 72 hours prior to their appointment. This includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Niacin, fish oil supplements, Vitamin E oil, primrose oil and Ibuprofen.
- Antibiotics, Iron supplements and magnesium all compromise the integrity of the skin and should be avoided 1 week prior to your appointment.
- Do not drink any alcohol the night before and day of your appointment and limit the amount of caffeine you consume.
- If you have been on prescription Accutane in the past, you MUST wait at least one year before considering this procedure.
- It is highly recommended that you avoid SUN and TANNING BED exposure for 30 days BEFORE and AFTER your procedure. If you show up for your appointment with a new tan or a sunburn, you will need to reschedule and will forfeit your deposit. As your skin exfoliates from a sunburn, it will take the pigment with it.
- Any waxing or brow shaping should be done at least 2 days before.
- If you tint your brows, tint it at least one week prior to the procedure.
- Cosmetic botox or fillers should be done 2 weeks prior or 2 weeks after.
- Avoid chemical peels 4 weeks before your procedure. These include Glycolic, Pumpkin, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Salicylic Acid, Retinols, Microdermabrasion, Laser Facials, both ablative and non-ablative. Also included are Fraxel, Co2, and IPL laser treatments.
- No working out or alcohol within 24 hours of the procedure.
- If you are required to take antibiotics before dental procedures, please follow the same instructions from your doctor before the procedure.
- If you bruise easily, we recommend taking Arnica before and after the procedure (available at most health food stores).
Avoid any form of caffeine 2-3 hours prior to your appointment (caffeine is a stimulant and will heighten your sensitivity).
How many sessions do I need to achieve the best results?
Two treatments are usually needed with 4-6 weeks separating the appointments. Sometimes just one treatment is sufficient, but a touch-up appointment is offered just in case. With most procedures, the colour looks dramatically lighter after the first week. At the second treatment, we will assess the colour retention and make adjustments as necessary. Some clients may require further touch-ups within 12 weeks. These additional touch-ups will be handled on an individual basis.
Am I a good candidate to undergo cosmetic tattoo procedure?
You must be 18 years of age or older to undergo microblading with Beautymark Makeovers. Cosmetic tattooing is not for clients who are/have:
- Pregnant or nursing
- Undergoing Chemotherapy (Consult with you doctor)
- Viral infections (diseases)
- Had Botox within a 2 week period of appointment
- Had an organ transplant
- Sick with a cold or flu-like virus
- Used Accutane in the past 6 months)
- Severe acne
- Moles in the procedure area
- Very dry skin. Additionally, if you are iron deficient or Anemic, the pigment will fade sooner and bleeding/bruising may occur during and after the procedure.
There are some skin types that are not suitable for these procedures. This will be addressed during the consultation and I reserve the right to refuse services based on my professional opinion.
Please check for the following with your doctor before your procedure:
Have diabetes and under doctor care
Have been in remission from cancer for 1 year
Have high blood pressure
Using blood thinning prescriptions
Have seborrheic dermatitis
What is the healing process?
- During the 2 week healing period, you are required to apply the recommended aftercare balm to the procedure area 2-3 times daily. In order to reduce the risk of infection, it is best to apply the cream with clean hands or a Q-tip. Never let the procedure area feel tight or completely dry. Hydration is key!
- Avoid showering for the first 12-24 hours after your procedure. After this time has passed, when showering or bathing during the healing period, apply a thick layer of aftercare balm to create a barrier and avoid putting the procedure area directly in the water stream.
- Please avoid using makeup on or around the procedure area during the healing process. If makeup touches the procedure area, it can increase the risk of an infection and also may mix with the pigment to alter the colour.
- Avoid saunas, hot yoga, tanning, sun exposure, excess sweating, pools and facials during the healing period. Botox should be avoided for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks following your appointment. Avoid Laser treatments around the procedure area as there is a risk of altering the colour and lightening the pigment.
- Avoid the use of cleansers, soaps or any other creams (especially ones containing Retin-A) on the procedure area until the flaking period has stopped. Wash around the area using a cleaning cloth or makeup wipe.
- It is recommended to use sun protection after the duration of the healing process (SPF 50 is best). This is to ensure that your microbladed brows do not fade or discolour over time.
What can I expect after my cosmetic tattoo procedure?
- After your first session, do not expect your brows to heal perfectly. This can be a 2 step process (sometimes even 3!). It takes time. Patience is key during the healing process- your brows will change and appear different from day to day. After the procedure area heals, a touch-up appointment will be needed; the process is not considered complete without it! Your touch-up appointment should be booked 4-6 weeks after your initial appointment.
- Immediately after your procedure, expect the brows to appear darker and more defined and this will last up to 2 weeks . It can appear more solid, hair strokes may seem to disappear and it may look wet and painted on.
- Around days 4-5 you will experience flaking and your brows may look dry. Do not pick/peel at the procedure area may cause loss of pigment and scarring. Refrain from touching the procedure area, except when applying aftercare balm.
- Your brow tattoo will take up to 30 days to fully heal. When the flaking comes off, the hair strokes may seem faint this is because a fresh layer of skin has healed over the brow tattoo. Give your brows a few weeks and the hair strokes will become clearer. Colour will continue to change on a daily basis until all healing is complete at the 4 week mark.
- You may experience itchiness in the brows during the healing period for up to 2 months due to the healing process of the dermal layer.
- Results vary for different individuals. Hairstrokes for oilier skin types tend to heal more solid and powdery, while drier skin types tend to heal more crisp and defined. Also, those who bleed more may tend to need more touchups as the blood pushes the pigment out during the procedure.
Should you have any questions or concerns following your appointment, please contact Priya directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.